Jane Doll and I are headed to St Louis, Missouri, to the 2012 Championship Event very soon. Jane Doll has traveled to the Championship Event in my place for the past 2 years.
She was created by a dear friend and mentor, Jess Jankowitsch, when it was discovered that I was unable to travel. Jess organized a group of FIRST-ers who took responsibility for chaperoning Jane Doll and documenting her wonderful experiences with meeting old friends and making new ones.
The slideshow that we’ve included highlights just a few of her experiences at the Championship Event. Jane Doll has had the honor of meeting Dean Kamen, Dr. Woodie Flowers, and Dave Lavery. She has attended the RoboProm with many of the 2011 Dean’s List Finalists and she has met many of the valuable volunteers that help to keep things running smoothly for the Championship. Jane Doll has even enjoyed being on Einstein as a very special helper. She has had a lot of fun just being herself.
Here are some of her Jane Doll tips:
- Meet new people.
- Explore all the different opportunities at the Championship Event such as Scholarship Row and the Hall of Fame.
- Go to the Rookie Meet and Greet hosted by FRC 1511, Rolling Thunder.
- Spend time visiting the Pits and looking at the pit setups and talking to teams.
- Listen to the speeches. The people giving them are trying to help you grow.
- Ask questions and listen to the answers.
- Be ready to be a good role model for your community and for next year’s Rookies.
- Have a lot of fun.
- Always have a buddy with you and make sure your chaperones know where you are.
- Be kind and helpful to everyone.
Jane Doll is a doll with a big heart. She cares about FIRST and she cares about you. And so do I.
Jane Y., Mentor for LASA Robotics, FIRST Team #418, and Jane Doll